Grant Update Marketing Committee Grant 001 - Grant Update Thread

Secured
Hello everyone,

As I will soon be departing as chair of the marketing committee, it has been decided by the committee that the paid campaign will be stopped to allow a transition to the new chairperson. The final numbers are as follows for the whole campaign:

Total spent: €3069.86
Total clicks: 23,900
Average CPC: €0.13
Conversions: 565
Average CPA: €5.43

The remaining funds are:

FCT - 700.5464621
BTC - 1.10134843
EUR - €12,353.72

These funds will be transferred to the new chairperson and the committee and will be held until a decision is made regarding their utilisation.

Are there any questions about the paid campaign?

Secured
Grant Update
We should take a moment to remind ourselves of the original grant proposal goals, originally spanning over a period of 3 months:
  1. Produce a monthly report of actions taken for the community
  2. Produce a monthly report on social media accounts
  3. Paid Traffic for FactomProtocol Website
    a) Engage a digital marketing company to manage paid channels
    b) Manage paid channel spend to ensure spending keeps within budget
    c) Create paid visits to the FactomProtocol website
  1. Curation of Contacts List within Media space
    a) Produce a list of 100 media contacts
    b) Produce a media pack
    c) Produce a branding pack
The grant was paid out early December 2018. The following updates have been given:

Jan. 9 update
Feb. 8 update
Feb. 24 update/discussion
Mar. 3 update
Mar. 12 end of paid campaign update

After reviewing these updates, these reports mostly satisfy goal (1) of the original grant proposals. I have not seen any reports provided to the community on social media, goal (2). I do have confirmation that this is indeed being tracked through screenshots. The Committee can provide more information on request.

A marketing company has been engaged (Growth Fixer), goal (3a).

Goal (3b) is to maintain a CPC below $7.05. “End of campaign” reports a CPC of €0.13.

Goal (3c) is 2000 paid visits. With 70% of the funds still being unspent, the committee reports 23.900 clicks. This is a significant over-achievement compared to what was proposed.

Now, I’m no expert in marketing. Perhaps other entities are able to provide even more clicks for their money, however, as a community we accepted this grant proposal without questioning their CPC budget. As a sponsor, I am forced to objectively compare grant proposal goals with deliveries. The only conclusion is that the paid campaign has been successful.

Goal (4a) is complete.
Goal (4b and 4c) are merged into a single pack, but is not yet finished. It is still underway, and the committee reached out today (once again) to collect necessary information from ANOs.

The biggest concern is the difference between the proposed timeline in the grant proposal and what has been delivered. Goal 3 was to be ended in February. We are now mid March. Goal 4 was to produce media pack and branding pack within one month of grant payout. We are now 4 months into the grant.

Transition Update
Ben is leaving the marketing committee and ultimately Factom entirely. Ben is motivated to do a successful and reasonable transition, and has paused all committee spendings until the matter is resolved. All remaining funds will be transferred to the new chair.

Financial Update
After grant payout to the disclosed FCT address (FA3KhPnfjM8M8cXNvHZGpLMweEzq9irUzVjhRzyXeKayg1Yc1Yzr), the full amount of the grant was transferred to a cryptocurrency exchange. This makes it less transparent and more difficult to track funds, as transactions are not reflected on the blockchain, but only in the internal exchange database.

An export from Ben’s exchange has been disclosed and I’ve done my best to audit the trail.

According to Ben, the following payouts have been made:
(Rough USD estimation by me)
  • Google (€3070, ~$3.471)
  • Hootsuite (£1425, ~$1.881)
  • Growth Fixer ($1.500)
  • Total: $6.852
Remaining funds:
  • 700 FCT ($4.627)
  • 1.1 BTC ($4.292)
  • €12,353.72 ($13.933)
  • Total: $22.852
Current total USD value of funds spent and funds held is $29.704. This suggests an average FCT sale price of $5,94. Factoid liquidation history (FCT-BTC) shows an average sale price of $7.8. The discrepancy is explained mostly by taxes (5/6th of the liquidation amount is “available for spending” due to UK tax laws), in addition to withdrawal fees and the unstable nature of the number of currency conversions involved. I consider this within acceptable margin of error. From what has been disclosed, all Factoids have been accounted for.

Grant payout was for a total of 5.000 FCT, today’s value $33.050. The grant proposal original fiat budget was $18.750.

Summary
In summary, this grant is overfunded, has overdelivered on the goal that can be bought for money, but has not managed to deliver other goals within their proposed time budget. However, as long as the goals are delivered within a reasonable amount of time, this grant will produce material of very high value to the Factom Ecosystem and Community and as such should be worth waiting for. Rushing it for the sake of “ticking boxes” rather than “delivering good products” is not an advisable path of action.

Dealing with bureaucracy, I often question whether it’s more important to do things right (ie stick to the schedule and provide scheduled reports) or to do the right things (ie deliver good and working products). In my opinion, given the narrow scope of this grant, the manpower in the committee and the proposed timeline, the Marketing Committee should have been able to do both.

Another important aspect for the community to concider, is what happens next. Only 30% of the grant has been spent, but the grant is nearing it’s end in both deliveries and time. What is to be done with the remainder? Do we reward the recipient for completing a grant below budget, and allow them to keep it to spend at their discretion? Do we demand the remainder to be returned to the grant pool? Or, my personal favorite, do we task the committee to propose a supplementary grant to be accepted by the community, outside of existing grant rounds?

Secured
ANOs and Community Members,

-- Final Update on this Grant ---

As most of you know the Marketing Committee has gone thru some leadership change with BenJ stepping down as chair and leaving the community altogether. There were a few outstanding deliverables at the time of the last grant review. Mainly dependant on responses from all the ANO’s for the ANO 1 pagers. This now completes the media and branding pack.

ANO 1 pagers

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZCGE3roc5WVNkTUmuM5GOnLcHiPb7DML

50, 100, and 200 word summary text of the Factom Protocol

https://factomize.com/forums/threads/factom-protocol-summary-texts.1689/#post-13985

Media Pack
https://drive.google.com/open?id=14SP90OOjR_IOLcC8bAjmbhuVd5NXQ0_2

Here is an extensive list of media contacts that is an ongoing living document.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e_lf-hlLOoa7q0fSJFl_7et_0vta1j17OAlier0cwWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Social Media Report since the beginning of Paid Marketing Grant
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DrdED3EGviGdwh8A02Hay6_MRHKRB7g-Iw8YBWZjBXE/edit?usp=sharing

Ben was leading the paid marketing grant and all the deliverables of that grant are now complete, but the Marketing Committee is left with approx $20K in USD value. We realize that almost all grants have increased in value since being awarded. But, we would like to set a precedent here for full disclosure of the use of community funds that have grown in value since the original disbursement.

The reasons we have this extra cash are as follows:
  • The price of FCT is higher now than when the grant was first awarded and funds distributed.
  • The media cost of the paid marketing campaign was lower than budgeted.
  • No one in the committee was paid for their time, expertise, and resources

The plan for these additional dollars are as follows:
  • Purchase Ledger Nano for the marketing committee treasurer to manage the committee finances ($60)
  • Fix CoinMarketCap (CMC) Rating powered by FlipSideCrypto. The marketing committee feels it's important to improve this rating - Kevin from Inc did some nice work getting information on the ratings
    • https://factomize.com/forums/thread...flipside-crypto-rating-on-coinmarketcap.1796/
    • Currently, FCT has an F rating and to get them all the information they grade from requires some technical integrations that they require payment for. Cost is one time total of $750 plus there is an option for some analytics that is $300 for the year (need more info on this before we commit)
    • Our view is this is a necessary payment as CMC gets 10M+ visits a month and is the #1 driver of traffic to the Protocol Website
  • PR outreach opportunities with blockchain influencers/reporters through their Podcast or Youtube channels. As well as pushing Factom Protocol related news out to cryptocurrency newsletters.
  • Community Advocacy Tool
    • This type of tool allows us to put a process to maximize the community network to further all our great messages. We are still researching the best tool and of course identifying an owner of the process
    • $6000/year and can have up to 1000 advocates - https://sproutsocial.wistia.com/medias/7521zby52m
  • Reserve Funds for Opportunistic Campaigns - $
    • Having these funds will allow us to move quickly as opportunities arise. This could consist of sponsorship opportunities, PR, being a speaker, events etc…
    • Without these funds we could easily miss out on impactful opportunities. Waiting for grant rounds is not realistic for the speed at which these opportunities move.
    • We will communicate how we leverage these dollars to the community.
    • Additionally, we will be formulating a reserve plan for the marketing committee that will lay out the logic of how much money should be in reserve to be agile.

Thank you,
Greg Forst
Marketing Committee Chair

Secured
@Greg Forst

Could you provide an update in regards to how the left-over funds have been spent?

Since this grant you have received another (large) one, so I expect these funds have been spent by now, or they would have gone towards the new grant paid out earlier this month.

Tor
Tor
- There have been updates in our marketing reports of these funds but it is a good ideal for us to update here. Dan has been our default treasurer, so I will ping him to drop an update here.

Also, note we have been leveraging these funds as funds that allow us to be opportunistic. Thus they have not been rolled into the new marketing grant. From Dan's update, you will see we have had some opportunities that made having easy access to funds crucial.

-- previous statement on the leftover funds from Ben's grant ----
  • Reserve Funds for Opportunistic Campaigns - $
    • Having these funds will allow us to move quickly as opportunities arise. This could consist of sponsorship opportunities, PR, being a speaker, events etc…
    • Without these funds we could easily miss out on impactful opportunities. Waiting for grant rounds is not realistic for the speed at which these opportunities move.
    • We will communicate how we leverage these dollars to the community.
    • Additionally, we will be formulating a reserve plan for the marketing committee that will lay out the logic of how much money should be in reserve to be agile.

Secured
@Tor Paulsen
When Ben left the committee. He transferred: 3.716 BTC and 700.5 FTC to the marketing committees nano ledger. Since than we have had the following transactions:

1. Paid $374 in BTC (0.067714) to Ben for taxes associated with the transfer
2. Paid 320 FCT to GoImmutable for BiTA membership
3. Paid 131 FCT to Anton for blog and hosting start up and maintenance fees
4. Paid $300 in BTC (0.03328) to u.today for a press release that will be published tomorrow about the newly elected ANO’s
5. Have agreed to fund expenses for Expo Europe 2018 in Amsterdam, starting tomorrow.
6. The marketing committee agreed to pay for the fees associated with Flipside crypto to improve our FCAS score on coinmarketcap.com. I Facilitated communications with Flipside crypto and members of the Factom community (Kevin, Alex, Maxlambda, and myself) to improve FCAS score on coinmarketcap.com. Maxlamba and myself had a follow up call with Flipside Cryptos CEO and team on May 29th, 2019. Was told that Factoms final review got a little clogged in their UDM (Universal Data Model) system. They informed me that the rating should be complete by June, 30th, 2019. Some terms where negotiated, due to the delay….and as of now…it looks like the fees are getting waived = win for the protocol!

Totals as of now: BTC 3.614 FTC 249.5

Overall, having these funds available have been excellent to capitalize on opportunities. Especially ones that come up last minute like the Expo Europe 2018.

As you will note, there has been no grant funds dispersed to any of the committee members for their efforts.

On a personal note, I see the marketing committee as paving a new path on communicating exactly how grant funds are spent (expenses vs salaries, etc..). I would love to see current and future grant recipients follow the same trend.

Secured
3. Paid 131 FCT to Anton for blog and hosting start up and maintenance fees
I want to make it clear.
De Facto developed blog free of charge, we completely internalize all development & server setup costs.
131 FCT was paid for 1 year of hosting + backups @ Digital Ocean + Wordpress paid template (we initially decided to use Wordpress, but after we almost launch it, I found Ghost and Website Committee decided to switch to it).

Secured
Dan asked me to post his response here, as to who were paid by the marketing committee for the event:

“Members of BIF who organized and represented the Factom Protocol at the event and Perly from MOF who at the last minute dropped everything and committed himself to getting the graphics done for all the printed material...last minute”

Yes thanks so much to everyone involved...